Wednesday, April 8, 2020

We are in this together...

When we were in our seminary days I found that serving a cup of tea at our kitchen table was an easy way to connect and encourage other ladies. Our topics ranged from home making, schooling, child rearing, marriage, care taking, moving, to name a few. There was laughter and tears mixed with encouraging words. I loved those days....

Most of you reading this are home alone caring for your family and your husband and trying to keep your chin up through this pandemic. I would pour you a cup of tea if I could and would lend a listening ear. I will do my best to have a "conversation" with you in hopes it encourages you in some way.

First, you are not alone. We are in this together. But more importantly we have an all seeing and all knowing loving God who is sovereign and good taking care of every little detail today.

It's okay to mess up today. It's okay to cry now and then. This is a stressful time. This is a time of grieving.  My favorite place is in the bathroom to just pray and cry out my feelings to God about anything that is on my mind and heart. Then I wash my face and hug my family and keep going.  Humility before God is a blessing.

Your home is going to run the way that is best for you and your family. I don't parent parents and as a teacher I try to listen to parents more than I speak. You know your kids best. They are your children. You know what habits and routines work. You know what the Bible calls us to do - to raise our children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. We are to teach, guide, and train them. This doesn't happen overnight and will look different right now considering the circumstances. So we pray for wisdom; we emphasize family dinners and family worship together; we work out our stresses; we communicate with purpose; we forgive one another;  we strive to be charitable toward one another. This takes effort. There are good days with plenty to be thankful for and there are not so good days that lead us to pray for one another.

Make your marriage a priority. Pray with and for your husband. Be his companion and help meet.

There are things to do  everyday that is a benefit to your home. Our family is going through the book of Proverbs. There are verses that are enough to kick me off the couch and roll up my sleeves. We are spring cleaning, gardening, and cleaning our files, closets, drawers, etc. After moving here with six of us almost 8 years ago I can tell you there is plenty to sort, clean, and purge. The benefit is the trip down memory lane - good and bad - which leads to great conversations. My current stress is the need to replace our siding and the two squirrels that have been running in the the garage walls and above as a result. Prayers please :D Our fence and deck need to be fixed up as well from the tornado last year that went over our home along with general wear and tear. Other than that there is so much to be thankful for when we roll up our sleeves and commit to building up our home one day at a time in gratitude to God.

Find something to be thankful for at the start of the day and again at the end. Some nights when I struggle to sleep I list as many things I can that I am thankful for - it's better than counting sheep.

Show love everyday to each person in your home. If that is a struggle then examine why, pray, and forgive. Ask for a heart that will love them because Christ loves us. Some ways to show love are kind words, quality time together, one on one conversations where you do a lot of listening, small tokens of appreciation like baking something or making someone's favorite meal, leaving a note of encouragement, giving a hug, doing someone's chores for them without saying anything and plenty of other ways. If no one is doing this than you be the example and you will be blessed for your efforts. Phil 4:13 is my go to verse. I wear it on a ring on my hand everyday to remind me that it's all about Christ.

Pray. Everyday. Even as you work. If someone comes to mind then pray for them. We are the body of Christ and the Spirit unites us to Him and comforts us so that we can comfort one another with the comfort we receive from Him. People of God just know when someone is praying for them. You may be under quarrentine but you are not separated from God's people. This keeps us from despair.

Be honest before the Lord. These trials are for purging.  Our hearts need cleansing like our homes do. Things build up and decay. Repentance is a daily task. Put off and put on. Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control. These are given to us from the Spirit of God. These benefit you and others and are right and good. I love the Psalms during trials and the letters to the churches to remind me how to persevere. Press on in Christ.

Finally, God knows exactly what you need today. Trust Him for all the many little details. It is a big calling to be a faithful wife and mother each day and in the midst of a time when we are tempted to worry or task less or fill our time with unnecessary things.  Pay attention to the blessings around you. Find the satisfaction in a job well done. If you are in a state of grief just try to do the next thing. For example just lift that washing machine lid, put the clothes in and get them washed. I know. I have been there and eventually the wheels start turning and you are functioning another day. Your home is your home in its unique, special, blessed way with all those in it who have been given to you to care for - even the fur babies. So let's pace ourselves; Let's press on and we can look back on this as a time of renewal and growth. Let's remember the lessons we learn each day and when the stormy skies pass we will learn the truths of that lovely old hymn...that to be happy in Jesus is to trust and obey....

Love your sister in Christ,
Tricia :)