Monday, August 26, 2013

Memories that Matter


We took a trip down memory lane prior to starting another school year by looking through old photos. I simply listened as I scrolled to what my children said. I paid attention to the "Oh! I remember that!" and what they discussed that mattered to them. These were moments I thought could be easily forgotten because they were everyday happenings or because the kids were little and their interests changed so quickly through the years. This post is to encourage the moms in the daily routine with little ones to keep on keeping on because what you do is not going to go unnoticed.


Whenever one of my children reached their first birthday and became more mobile I knew we were entering what I called the "certified home wrecker stage." This could last up to the next 6 months or more as they had self-appointed permission to anything on their level. We taught them over time where they could and could not play.

Items were placed higher. Almost all my decorating and home decor became eye level. Our biggest hurdle was the Christmas tree.  Our children did not want to just decorate it once. That seemed like a fun activity so "Let's do that everyday and place all the ornaments we can reach in one spot." We provided a little tree for them to decorate and undecorate in their room.

We gave up on kitchen cabinet locks after the first child and just gave our little one a cabinet for him or her to squirrel away treasures and play in during those days. It kept them occupied while I was busy in the kitchen. I always had to keep an eye on the dishwasher and the trashcan and what was being added to it by an imitating "helper."


I learned quickly that comfortable, inexpensive play clothes for everyday play were the best option. I chose clothes that were easy to put on and take off so they could try to dress themselves. Holes in the knees happen. There is a lot of scooting and crawling while pushing toys and playing together. My kids were thankful that they could just play!

 

"Mom, guess what? Mom! Look at this! Why, Mom? But why?"
 Lots and lots of chatter, talking, and thinking out loud took place for several years, and sometimes it still does. I kept a composition book for each child on my kitchen counter to quick jot down funny pronunciations, sayings and moments that took place while Daddy was working. We still read these memories aloud and love having a record of the early days. Take some time to listen to your talkative ones and encourage your quieter ones to chat with you. Even your tweens and teens will appreciate it.


There are some things that just pass down in childhood. One is the "train" of chairs when someone is mopping the kitchen floor.


Getting rides from siblings or friends is another one of those simple memories for all our kids.

 

Baking with my children was honestly a messy time that required patience, but I am so glad we took the time to do this!


There are those moments with school that you decide to go the extra mile like listening to the beginnings of learning the recorder.


Playtime in our home took place in "pockets of play." My rule of thumb when playing at home was as long as it was safe and not too difficult to clean up, then I encouraged it. It didn't matter if it was a box of random treasures, or as in the photo above, a pile of foam stickers, or something other than the typical "educational" toy. Our children learned to entertain themselves and knew I respected their imagination.


Messes were expected with little ones. They tried to help and I tried to keep a sense of humor!


When our children needed to find something quiet to do they would come up with some of the most interesting ways to use their time.


Our coffee table was and still is a play table. Thankfully, we have a sturdy table that has withstood the wear and tear of a well-used place of entertainment.


"Flowers" from your children will always be special. I kept little pretty containers on my windowsill for the endearing gifts my children would bring to me.


Illness happens with little ones and you become a part-time nurse some seasons. Expect that someone will be ill during travel and just roll with it. Keep little ones comfortable and enjoy the snuggles.



As our children grew older we kept encouraging creative simple play.


Outings for the day were never a dull moment. With multiple children we learned to just let them nap along the way.


Field trips and family outings required a lot of prep and were, honestly, more tiring for us than the kids. There were trips that we had to keep a sense of humor because it felt like we were herding cats. The kids thankfully look back on our photos and see a better memory. It matters.


Little ones meant we had "baby birds". We learned that they would love to eat or have what we had.


Special toys and stuffed animals are still with us.  We have moved several times and each child has their own memory box and stash of items that travel from house to house. It is amazing how your teens hold onto a special something that transports you back in time.


Daddy was always busy. Job changes, teaching, and being an elder, a camp director, a seminary student, and a pastor respectively had him spinning plates. It was my quest to carve out time, plan ahead and make times with Dad a priority. I am so thankful I did and continue to do so.


Each child went through the repetitive book stage, wanting the same book read over and over. Taking the time to read to your children is one of the many sweet memories you will have. We have a collection of our favorite children's books to pass on to their children. Occasionally, I will now have my teens and tweens sprawled out on a bed together listening to me read. Recently, I picked up a silly picture book from the library to read together just for fun.  You won't regret this. 


Every mom has a story of the ups and downs of life happening right alongside the calling of motherhood. Be yourself with all the gifts, talents, and interests you were given by Him for His glory. Look to the Lord who knows you. Be in His Word and under the preached Word. Desire to obey Him and be a sweet example of obedience to your children in the day to day. He sees and knows all things. He knows our hearts. He gives us the wisdom we need if we ask. He forgives us when we repent. He knows you are raising children, His children, and He is sovereign and good. Pray with and for each child in your care. Pray for a willing servant heart that loves them with Christ's love. Get to know each child over the years and be that sweet trusting listening ear. Pray each day for good planning, a steady pace, and a good attitude towards your call as a mother. One day you will see that the little things did matter.

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path" (Psalm 119:105).